Filing Cabinet of the Damned

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

I Am Officially an Old Fart

Manga. Japanese comics.

The Next Big Thing. If one examines the market, it looks to be the Current Big Thing.

I don’t like it.

Not at all.

The story conventions bore me and the art doesn’t lure me in. I watched a decent amount of Japanese animation in my teens (so long ago we called it “Japanimation,” not “anime”), and that didn’t make much of an impression either.

Thus, I am officially Behind the Times.

This bothers me less than I thought it would.

Now run off and get me some absorbant undergarments, ya whippersnapper! Then I can bore you with tales of olden days, when kids had respect for their elders! Hhhnnnn!!

Kids today, with their hippity-hop music and all that folderol...

3 Comments:

  • I know I'm gonna sound like an outraged teenybopper, but there are lots of Japanese comics that don't fit within the "story conventions" of the schoolgirls-and-sci-fi books. Same goes for the art.

    I admit, the "alternative" manga don't sell so well (not even in Japan) and don't get translated or distributed so much, so if your complaint were phrased "Japanese comics that I am able to easily buy", I would have no counterargument.

    By Blogger Matt, at 9:34 PM  

  • Hey, I'm not saying it's not a rich and varied genre that may have good stuff in it. I'm just saying I don't groove on it. Maybe I came in too late, with my views already formed by American comics.

    All the stuff I've seen thus far has failed to rouse any interest, and I can't bring myself to dig deeper and hope to find something that speaks to me. No big deal. De gustibus non est disputandum, baby.

    Mostly I'm just reveling in my fogey-hood. Why, I'm so old I remember the Carter administration...

    By Blogger Harvey Jerkwater, at 11:24 PM  

  • Yeah, I know what you mean, and I'm not trying to argue that there's some obligation for everyone to find at least one comic book from every literate country that they enjoy-- but "manga" isn't a genre, not any more than "novel" (or "US comic book" for that matter). Well, not originally. I don't know, maybe the term has been artificially made more specific by marketers in the US or something.

    By Blogger Matt, at 7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home