Filing Cabinet of the Damned

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Can't Quite Get It Together

I know I've been quiet the last few days. Man, I can't figure out what to blog about.

Lately I've been bored by the World-O-Comics, and can't muster up the enthusiasm to write about 'em.

Mainstream comics are so dull these days as to make my ears bleed, the few indy comics I've been digging aren't inspiring my usual silly odes, and I can't bring myself to raid old comics out of my boxes right now. I just did that with Groo the Wanderer.

A bunch of half-formed ideas for essays have drifted past my fevered brain as possibilities:

--A retrospective of boyhood-with-cable Gen-X touchstone movies, such as The Beastmaster, The Last Starfighter, and The Last Dragon. ("Who's the Master? Sho'Nuff!") Comics fandom wallows in nostalgia; why not wallow in a different mire for a bit?



--Copping from Dave's Long Box again and including a few of the great "F$*% YEAH!" moments in film.*

--P.G. Wodehouse: The Masta! (A sample passage from The Masta: "We exchanged significant glances. At least, I gave him a significant glance and he looked like a stuffed frog, his habit when being discreet." Heh.)

--"Gray Hats and Tin Stars: The Hooerhouse America of Jonah Hex."**

All of these are in some stages of completion on my hard drive, and will likely see the light of day sooner or later, as soon as I get off my ample and hirsute butt.

Then there's my Big Fat Vanity Project: a version of the Seven Soldiers of Victory project, this time done for Marvel Comics, and by yers truly.

Grant Morrison's SSoV project is impressive, but more than anything, it looked to me like a hell of a lot of fun to write.

So I'm doing it too, despite the fact it'll never see print. Recycling and reviving old properties by reinterpreting them and creating a collection of interlocking miniseries with a unifying theme running through them all?

ROCK!

In case you're wondering, yes, as I suspected, it's a blast to write. Now if only I can develop it to the point where it's a blast to read. Therein lies the challenge.

A real post will follow soon. Throwing this junk onto a page helped clear the decks for actual thinking and suchlike. Phew.
_________________
*If you don't feel like screaming "F*$& YEAH!" at least twice during The Right Stuff, you are a dirty, dirty communist and probably torture kittens with car batteries.

**Note the faux-academic title. Hells yeah! Pretension is fun!

But you can tell I never went to graduate school due to the title's lack of words like "hermeneutics" and "epistomology." Next year I'll see about working that crap in. How about "The Ontology of Squirrel Girl: Nihilism, Neoplatonism, Nietzsche, and Nut(s)?" Man, I feel like Baudrillard already.

3 Comments:

  • Now there is a flashback...

    Sho-nuff the Shogun of Harlem

    HA!

    Thanks...I've got to catch The Last Dragon somewhere so I can make the kids watch it.

    Mark "Puff" Anderson

    By Blogger Mark "Puff" Anderson, at 1:16 PM  

  • "Catch a bullet....with his teeth!?!?!"

    Yeah, all those movies are way radical. Having just found your blog, I'm definitely intrigued on your vanity project. Right now I'm spinning my wheels with only a celebration of the New Warriors alongside a defecation on the New Avengers in the back of my mind for posting.

    I hate blogging sometimes.

    By Blogger Spencer Carnage, at 6:26 PM  

  • I hadn't trawled through "Comic Weblog Updates"
    for a few weeks, and today came across a couple of items that caught my eye: Plok's "Seven Soldiers of Steve" (circumstantial.blogspot.com) and now your tantalising post about your own Marvel version of SSoV. Funnily enough, I was just last week amusing myself with such a concept. Seventies Marvel quirky character revivals as interlocking miniseries with unifying theme? Please SELL THIS TO MARVEL - I NEED to see it ... in the meantime, post your outline asap!

    (without wanting to step on what your doing - you ARE hanging it on the Defenders aren't you? And new versions of Hellcat (the Cat) and Valkyrie feature, right?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home