Filing Cabinet of the Damned

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

I Don't Miss Dating

“I met Dahlia Prenderby once,” said the Egg. “I thought she seemed a nice girl.”

“Freddy thought so, too. He loved her madly.”

“And lost her, of course?”

“Absolutely.”

“Do you know,” said a thoughtful Bean, “I'll bet that if all the girls Freddie has loved and lost were placed end to end--not that I suppose one could do it--they would reach half-way down Piccadilly.”

“Further than that,” said the Egg. “Some of them were pretty tall. What beats me is why he ever bothers to love them. They always turn him down in the end. He might just as well never begin. Better, in fact, because in the time saved he could be reading some good book.”

--P.G. Wodehouse, “Good Bye to All Cats”

1 Comments:

  • Oh, and that one's such a good story, too! I was rereading it just a few weeks ago. I'm inclined to think it's a good thing so many Egg and Bean-type engagements ended up broken, but the stories are so much fun.

    Rose

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home